There are a lot of tips to keep in mind when writing a book. One of my favorites is show—don’t tell. Here are a few other helpful tips I’ve learned along the way.
12 Helpful Tips When Writing a Book
- When an idea comes along—jot it down.
- Make time to write. Create a writing schedule that works for you.
- Set and meet your deadlines.
- Save your first draft. It can help you stay on path when you accidentally stray from your original idea.
- Edit. A LOT.
- Read what you’ve written out loud. Hearing your own words will help you in the editing process.
- Write—even when you don’t feel like writing. You’ll be amazed at what you come up with.
- Get beta readers you trust.
- Pick your editor carefully. (My first editor missed a few things on my manuscript. Thankfully, I caught and corrected the mistakes before my final draft was published.)
- Pay attention to constructive criticism, but do what you feel is best for your story.
- Keep your book title short and memorable.
- Endings need to close the story—not ruin it. Write it carefully.
What’s your favorite tip when writing a book?